Children's Day Care Volunteer, Antigua, Guatemala
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
Join this project and make the difference!
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand self-motivated
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Raise vital funds for the project
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- Prepare educational material
- Teach the children about your culture
- Help preparing meals offered
Prepare workshops and educational activities and share your culture as you get immersed in Guatemalan society
Provide support to poor mothers and fathers who work to give their children the least
Provide a safe environment for the kids to grow
Help teachers to develop the mental and motor skills of these kids
Engage in making sure that these children have all the necessary tools to enter the formal education system