Two weeks of concerts, shows, classes and milongas. Come to watch, listen or dance! August 8 – 21 2019.
August 8 – 21, 2019.
At venues throughout the city. Free entry, with limited places for some events.
Every August thousands of dancers and fans of tango music converge on Buenos Aires, the birthplace of tango, for a two-week extravaganza of free concerts, classes, milongas, and other events.
Hear exciting new orchestras and established artists, pick up some steps in the classes and see some of the world’s most talented dancers in action – all for free at the world’s biggest tango festival right in tango’s birthplace and home.
The annual event includes free concerts, performances, classes, milongas, and the Mundial de Tango, the most important international tango championship, which sees hundreds of dancers from all over the world compete for a place in the finals at Luna Park stadium. The mundial has two categories: traditional tango salon (improvised – dancers do not know what music they will have to dance to), and escenario (choreographed stage tango).
And don’t worry if you forget your dance shoes; the festival has its own product fair with items made by some of the city’s best tango shoe and clothing specialists.
• 5 recommendations
As well as the prestigious mundial de tango competition, the event features dozens of activities for dancers and non-dancers alike.
– More than 50 special dance and music productions.
– Appearances by internationally renowned artists.
– Shows from major dance companies.
– Children’s events, keeping tango alive among the next generation.
– Special events such as talks, book launches and presentations.
– Competing in the championship
– Couples who fancy their chances representing their country at the world’s most important tango championship should register online in advance.
More information: http://festivales.buenosaires.gob.ar/2019/portal/es/home