Volunteer with the elderly, Santiago, Chile
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
The aging process includes several biological changes. By reducing the functional reserve of eldery they are more frequently predisposed to diseases, with greater consequences than in other stages of life. For that reason it is very important that in this period of their life they have the best living conditions to protect their health. This home has been working for that goal as well as for the emotional wellbeing of the seniors since 1967. This is a great chance for you to learn from both the elderly living at the home and its experienced staff.
Many seniors suffer on their last days from situations that put them in need of a loving home. Family problems that often come to physical or psychological abuse, lack of space, an acute loneliness, routine, maladjustment and insecurity are the main causes that lead them to take refuge in an institution such as this home, aspiring to live in better conditions during the last stretch of their lives.
For the home’s staff it is essential to protect the dignity of the elderly, who are asked for their consent to participate in this project, while respecting their will. Sometimes they are invited to come to the home from public services and municipal departments, or by the community’s initiative that tries to support them. In other cases, the families ask for help because they are not able to take proper care of them at their house.
Join this project and make the difference!
At the home, the elderly live in a cozy atmosphere and are invited to participate in different activities that help them to strengthen their cognitive and motor skills through workshops such as crafts, horticulture, folklore, computer science and carpentry, among others. The key is the interaction and collaboration between them so that they stay active and discover new skills. Here is where you’ll play a major role. You’ll organize recreational activities and prepare and provide workshops for them. You’ll be in direct contact with the elderly and will be able to share your culture as they share their endless wisdom with you. You need to have and advance Spanish level to be able to interact with them. But the most important thing is that you remain available and provide love, affection and genuine friendship for them to feel they have someone that cares for them.
To receive, to feed, to take care of the health and emotional status of the unprivileged elderly population of Santiago, keeping them integrated into the family and society in a dignified and active environment is the goal that guides the activity of this home. They know they need to provide warmth, care and affection as well to improve their quality of life. The organization becomes a support for residents to strengthen ties with their families, peers and society trying to facilitate the space and means to remain as active protagonists of their life. They are guided by Christian values but everybody’s help is welcome.
You will make their lives happier and their company will make you grow as a person. This is a great project to get involved. A lot of volunteers like you are needed!
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
A Private Apartment is the best choice to enjoy your privacy and comfort of your own place.
Your role as a volunteer
On this volunteer project you'll have to work on your empathy. You need to walk in these people's shoes and try to think what they would need or like if you were them. You need to listen and to spend time with them to be able to fulfill their needs. The staff is very savy and open to help you in anything you may need. But it is important for you to be perceptive and proactive.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Have skills to work with people with disabilities
- Be creative and have an affinitty with disabled people
- Be motivated, patient, resourceful and willing to join in a wide range of activities
- Be a committed and responsible person willing to help
- THave skills to organize recreational events
- Enthusiastic spirit and lots of energy
- Students or health professionals are welcomed to help
- An intermediate Spanish level is recommended
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Watch out for physical and mental health of the disabled
- Assist on rehabilitation activities
- Work on maintenance activities
- Be involved with the disabled
- Spend time with them making them happier
- Preparation of recreational and sports activities
- Assisting the staff and other volunteers on routine duties
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Help improve Santiago’s unprivileged elder people’s quality of life
- Contribute with a wide range of activities that are as easy as rewarding
- Learn a lot from this home’s staff that has many years of experience in the subject and has a proven commitment to the well being of the elderly
- Spend quality time with the people at the home providing love, affection and creating a unique genuine friendship
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: