Volunteer with single mothers and children, Antigua, Guatemala
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
Imagine yourself alone with a child. For sure, you’ll want to be able to provide everything that child needs. In order to do that you’ll have to work and leave your son or daughter somewhere. We are sure that you’ll look for the best care possible for him or her. You’re going to want for him to be healthy and happy. For people with little resources, that place is usually out of reach because of financial reasons.
This day care center provides this space for mothers to confidently leave their children while at work. They know they are getting the best care possible and all the necessary skill development before entering the formal education system. The children that assist here are aged from 3 months to 7 years old.
As a volunteer you’ll need to have a profound love for children. You’ll be able to develop different workshops, games and recreational activities to stimulate the children’s skills and to motivate them to believe in a brighter future. You can help in many ways. Though this is a government funded organization the project is not well resourced. The center has a lot of needs specially with equipment, school supplies, food, clothes, shoes and much more.
You giving a hand will be a great way for you to chip in to the tremendous effort that professionals and other volunteers are doing to keep this center up and running. The teachers will be glad to have an international participant because of all that you’ll be able to share.
Join this project and make the difference!
They will show much interest in your culture. In sharing it with them you’ll for sure find a new appreciation for your customs and origins. They will share their culture with you as well, and that way you’ll gain a new perspective on the world surrounding you.
The love of the children will for sure leave a mark in your heart for the rest of your life and you’ll stay in their memories too. Your main job will be to organize activities for the children and play with them. Fun job right? You’ll also need to assist the teachers, the staff and the “Madre Cuidadora” that lives at the site. The “Madre Cuidadora” (caring mother in English) is like these moms’ godmother, she listens and makes sure their needs are met. They might need help putting together educational material or administrative and maintenance tasks. You need to be ready to help in any way you can.
Teachers also need a hand on teaching the children hygiene habits like brushing their teeth or washing their hands. You’ll also get to work with a social worker that visits the center regularly. You can also help to put together donations to provide the center with the things needed.
If you are looking for your life-changing experience, look no further, these kids and their mothers need your help and we are sure that you have lots of energy and enthusiasm ready to make a difference at this day care center. Sign up now!
This volunteer project is not available from November to January.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand self-motivated
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Raise vital funds for the project
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- Prepare educational material
- Teach the children about your culture
- Help preparing meals offered
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Provide education and care to children of families with little financial stability and who cannot afford a public or private school
- Create a safe environment for single moms to leave their children while at work
- Make lots of local and international friends and get immersed in Guatemalan culture
- Take the opportunity of living a truly life-changing experience while doing your bit for children’s lives
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: