Volunteer teaching English, Montezuma, Costa Rica
Anything that you can bring, will be very helpful to give opportunities those more in need. Volunteer!!
The teaching of English as a foreign language is important in a country where international tourism is the main source of foreign revenue. This is especially necessary for that part of the population that is directly involved in the tourism trade.
You’ll be working together with other volunteers with children from the communities of Montezuma, Las Delicias and Cabuya, on the Nicoya Peninsula, in the province of Puntarenas. The three communities are substantially different. Montezuma is a tourist area where many services are found, famous for its breathtaking beauty. Backpackers looking for an exotic locale to avoid crowds have visited Montezuma and its beaches for years. Instead, Las Delicias and Cabuya are small rural communities, surrounded by forests, whose inhabitants are involved in agricultural efforts looking to encourage a sustainable agricultural economy.
As a volunteer you are invited to share your knowledge of the English language with the locals to help them acquire a certain degree of fluency and communication skills that they can apply in the future as a way to make a living. You’ll be working with children, mainly in the first and second grade so you need to be passionate about teaching and patient. You don’t need to have previous experience in teaching but you do need to be resourceful.
Your presence by itself will be a great contribution to the children intercultural skills. The most important thing is that you stay open to them, telling them about your culture and where you come from.
Join this project and make the difference!
You can make up games or maybe teach them a song in English. They will share their culture with you obviously, so you’ll achieve your goal of full immersion. These small communities notice when there’s someone new and they will invite you to take part in their everyday life.
The teachers need assistance during lessons and you can do that for them as well as prepare educational materials. Your creativity and hard working skills are all you need to pack with you along with the excitement of getting to know a new culture. There’ll be an English teacher coordinating the activities so that you feel guided throughout your volunteer experience in Montezuma.
You’ll be able to play with the kids and spend afternoons of soccer games, volleyball matches and just outdoors activity that will help you to get closer to the children and to help them learn English without even noticing or making a great effort. As the icing on this cake you’ll be able to participate in the Conservation Project at Romelia Mixed Wildlife Reserve: a beautiful place on earth that needs to be protected from natural and man-made hazards. Are you up the challenge? Of course you are!
Your role as a volunteer
Your role on this project will be to share any knowledge and special skill you have. Anything can be of interest for your students. You'll need to be dynamic and to work in team with the teachers. You can inspire and share your experiences and successes with others and position yourself as a resource for the project.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Be able to adapt to a new life and environment
- Being sociable
- Maintain a cordial relationship with students
- Take the initiative; be organized, systematic and responsible in your work
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer
- Prepare educational material
- Teach English or your mother tongue
- Provide homework support
- Setting up handcraft workshops
- Giving dance classes
- Starting theatre clinics
- Organizing music seminars
- Arranging football training
- Teaching students about your country and its customs
- Assist the teachers on routine duties
The tasks described above can vary according to the needs and the volunteers’ skills and interests. Flexibility depends on work schedule and arrangements made by volunteers.
- Teach English to children of communities that need it to be able to support the main economic activity of the country.
- Spend time with children and enjoy playing and sharing your culture with them.
- Train your teaching skills with experienced teachers in Montezuma.
- Get immersed in a new culture and become a member of this community.
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: