Volunteer teaching English, Matapalo, Costa Rica
Anything that you can bring, will be very helpful to give opportunities those more in need. Volunteer!!
If you are ecologically sensitive, hard worker, willing to learn about new cultures and have lots of enthusiasm, this is the project for you! The Matapalo community needs many volunteers that like spending time with children to teach the English and assist their teachers.
Matapalo community is localized on the Pacific Coast in Puntarena. It is at 3 kilometers away of the Matapalo Beach, a 10 kilometer stretch of grey sandy beach that lies between the Hatillo and Portalón Rivers. This is the perfect scenery for a volunteer experience in which we’re sure you’re trying to find an exotic setting.
The goal here is to promote multiculturalism as well as helping children and residents of this rural community surrounded by protected areas to develop a second language. Among your tasks will be supporting the local teachers inside and outside of class, prepare teaching materials for the lessons, playing with the children and trying to share your culture with them as you learn about theirs.
You’ll be an English teacher coordinating the activities but they’ll appreciate creativity so you can suggest different activities. There are so many things to do! Imagine how much the children can benefit from you just being there.
Join this project and make the difference!
They will ask you all sorts of questions about where come from and how is home. You can prepare activities for the children and the community to share your customs such as making a presentation, telling typical stories of your country, taking your culture’s favorite dish for them to taste it and so on.
You can also encourage the children to tell you about their culture and share games and fun facts with them. No doubt you’ll learn a lot. All this can be done at the English lessons, so the people and children will learn the language without even noticing it! You can read the children stories and then asked them to draw the part they liked most and asked them to explain why they liked that in English. There are so many techniques that you can put into action to support the inhabitants of the village of Matapalo in their desire to learn English. At the same time you’ll test and improve your teaching skills.
This is such an exciting project open to every volunteer with lots of energy that loves to spend time with children. You’ll certainly get immersed in this new culture and get in touch with many other volunteers that share your interests. A volunteer program abroad always comes in handy for your CV but you’ll have no idea how important it is for your overall life until you experience it!
Your role as a volunteer
Your role on this project will be to share any knowledge and special skill you have. Anything can be of interest for your students. You'll need to be dynamic and to work in team with the teachers. You can inspire and share your experiences and successes with others and position yourself as a resource for the project.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Be able to adapt to a new life and environment
- Being sociable
- Maintain a cordial relationship with students
- Take the initiative; be organized, systematic and responsible in your work
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer
- Prepare educational material
- Teach English or your mother tongue
- Provide homework support
- Setting up handcraft workshops
- Giving dance classes
- Starting theatre clinics
- Organizing music seminars
- Arranging football training
- Teaching students about your country and its customs
- Assist the teachers on routine duties
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Share your cultural background with the inhabitants of this small rural community.
- Enjoy the beautiful setting that surrounds the area you’ll be working at.
- Support the people and children of the village of Matapalo in their desire to learn English.
- Assist local teachers and propose new activities that will always be welcomed.
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: