Volunteer teaching children with disabilities, Santiago, Chile
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
On this project you’ll be working in a center,wich belongs to a foundation that has homes and centers to assist children with disabilities all throughout Chile. The center works to provide comprehensive rehabilitation for those who attend. Through a series of actions and measures that fit the profile of each child, they help them to improve their skills and potential.
All these kids and teenagers have physical and/or mental disabilities and were abandoned or are living under high social risk situations. The main motivation is to stimulate their potential to increase their quality of life by trying to train them in the work culture. They take into account the interest of each person so they can develop in the areas they choose. This foundation tries to show society that having a disability doesn not mean that a person is not able to work and live on his or her own.
Children, teenagers and adults that they are caring for in the center may participate, according to their ability, in classes and various workshops tailored to suit their needs. They also help the families throughout the rehabilitation process of their children to avoid that they leave them at the center and decline their rehabilitation.
You will feel motivated encouraging the full potential of each one of the people who come to the center and offer the possibility of experiencing a significant improvement on their quality of life and their self esteem.
Are you ready? Sign up!
Among the many activities that are available for you to help as a volunteer are assisting teachers from Monday to Friday, contribute with the literacy of the people with disabilities, preparing materials for the lessons and workshops, providing professional counseling to the families, stimulating their motor skills, providing English lessons or providing early stimulation exercises to the youngest children. You can also monitor sports activities and outdoor games and have a lot of fun playing with them. Domestic tasks and assitance in the library are also needed.
A unique bond will be created among you, the staff, the children and their families. They always hope that you can stay at least one month in the program so that you get to know the people and they can get to know you better getting a deeper idea about the project. They offer you a team of cheerful and friendly professionals with over 30 years of experience that is willing to help you and teach you about mental disabilities.
At this center you’ll find a supportive and inclusive space. You’ll learn to accept and discover their abilities and talents allowing you to see disability with other eyes: to look at the No-Disability.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
A Private Apartment is the best choice to enjoy your privacy and comfort of your own place.
Your role as a volunteer
On this volunteer project you'll have to work on your empathy. You need to walk on these people's shoes and try to thinkabout what theywould need or like if you were them. You need to listen and to spend time with them to be able to fulfill their needs. The staff is very savy and open to help you in everything you may need. But it is important for you to be perceptive and proactive.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Have skills to work with people with disabilities
- Be creative and have an affinitty with disabled people
- Be motivated, patient, resourceful and willing to join in a wide range of activities
- Be a committed and responsible person willing to help
- Have skills to organize recreation events
- Enthusiastic spirit and lots of energy
- Students or health professionals are welcomed to help
- An intermediate Spanish level is recommended
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
- Watch out for physical and mental health of the disabled
- Assist on rehabilitation activities
- Work on maintenance activities
- Be involved with the disabled
- Spend time with them making them happier
- Preparation of recreational and sports activities
- Assisting the staff and other volunteers on routine duties
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Work assisting and helping out in any activity that you feel comfortable with
- You can choose from providing workshops to doing domestic tasks
- Create a space for these kids and teenagers with special needs for them to learn and enjoy, but also develop their capabilities to achieve independence
- Interact with children and teens with mental disabilities and enjoy the special bond that will be created between both of you
- Work with a team of experts that will help you a lot and from whom you will learn a lot about issues related to physical and mental disability
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: