Volunteer for Children's development, Antigua, Guatemala
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
On this project you’ll be assisting an organization that has as their major goal to break the poverty chain among the poor people and Mayan population of Guatemala. It has been up and running since the beginning of the 90’s and it involves a regular staff and hundreds of local and international volunteers every year. They all work together to meet the needs of children and their families that suffer from abuse, poverty and discrimination.
They struggle to achieve their goal through education. They believe in education as the main source of self sufficiency. They help the poorest children in their educational, social, physical, and spiritual growth viewing education as a practical way to help poor children escape from an otherwise painful life. They also provide other kinds of assistance through different programs to dignify the families and offer them a permanent way to break out of poverty.
Over 2,500 children and their families benefit from this project. There is a free clinic, a full time psychologist and a Mothers Club which supports civic events. Also, there are social workers that visit families, and there is a school and school support for children who are attending public school, a library, a dental clinic and a food distribution program.
They have so many opportunities for you!
Some of them are: donations, legal assistance, nutrition, rehabilitation and a scholarships program. This organization is an example and the pride of Antigua for all the work they’ve been doing to aid these families in need. You can be part of that work that makes a difference for so many Guatemalans. You’ll have a great time and get immersed in a new culture while helping people get on their feet to have a better life. You’ll need to have an advance level of Spanish since much of the work is done directly with the beneficiaries of the programs. You’ll be able to put into action all your Spanish studies and learn a lot of new expressions used by Guatemalans. You’ll be able to organize events based on your special skills. Things like sewing, art, music or literature workshops for the children are highly appreciated. You can also lead discussions on family planning, Aids/HIV, drug and alcohol abuse, and so on. Any previous experience you may have will be of great value here.
You can also be asked to take parts in tasks like helping with newsletter mailings, working in the kitchen, organizing activities for the children or to be teacher’s assistant or tutors of the children. Specialized volunteers such as social workers, dentists, nurses, doctors or carpenters are welcome too. Put all your skills to serve the people in need of Guatemala!
This volunteer project is not available from November to January.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand self-motivated
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Raise vital funds for the project
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- Prepare educational material
- Teach the children about your culture
- Help preparing meals offered
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Help the children that need it the most in a way that is going to last forever for them
- Be part of an experienced organization that has a great goal involving many areas
- Make a lasting contribution to the needed children and their families from Antigua, and be a crucial part of the lifesaving work by providing healthcare and education
- Get a deeper understanding of Guatemalan culture
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: