Volunteer caring children, San Jose, Costa Rica
You'll carry an unforgettable memory of the kids in your heart and they'll carry you in theirs!
This is a very nice opportunity for those volunteers that love spending time with children and have millions of ideas on how to entertain them and how to put in action early stimulation techniques. The people at the home will help you learn a lot and you also may have a nice time simply hanging out with the kids on their free time.
The non-profit organization behind this project offers opportunities for growth and personal and social development for people at high social risk, homeless, alcoholics and/or drug-addicts to have a better quality of life. At the same time, children, teenagers and mothers assist to their center to cover their basic needs and also to engage in alternative educational and training projects every day.
Though non-governmental, this organization has the support of many religious and government institutions that recognize the value of its activity in terms of how important it is for the unprivileged people of San José. They have many areas of intervention. Some of them are education, social action on the streets, special activities for people of all ages, infrastructure improvement and health. They also have special projects advising, counseling and guiding the people to improve their quality of life, youth programs, care and feeding of children, special celebrations committees and bible studies for those who want it.
Join this project and make the difference!
The organization provides food and medical, psychological and legal assistance to families with low income, homeless adults and children of San José and in some cases from the city’s surroundings. One of the most important things they do is to provide training to develop job skills in a short time. This allows the families to dream of a better future in which they are self sufficient.
On this particular project you’ll be helping the staff and other volunteers at the organization to take care of the children. All you need to do is to look after the kids and offer them friendship. Sometimes a big sister that gives them a hug is all they need. You can also create recreational activities for the children and educational workshops in which they can learn and have fun playing. At the moment the organization is only accepting female volunteers that need to have a basic level of Spanish to be able to interact with the kids. This is a Catholic organization and ask for their values to be respected, but they don’t have restrictions for volunteers of other religions or beliefs.
A positive role model and love are just what these kids need and we are sure that you are the girl that can do that for them. Participate and experience how much you can achieve with so little.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- High intermediate level of Spanish
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand self-motivated
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Raise vital funds for the project
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- Prepare educational material
- Teach the children about your culture
- Help preparing meals offered
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Protect the right every child has to have fun and to grow in a healthy environment.
- This is a project special for female volunteers that love spending time with children.
- Engrave the best memories of your time at the home playing games with the children.
- Get in touch with other volunteers that love children as much as you do!
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: