Volunteer at after school centre for under privileged youth, Quito, Ecuador
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
The project first began in the year 2000. It is located in a small town called San Jose, just outside Quito. The town suffers from a number of social issues including: delinquents, prostitution, drug addiction, alcoholism and youth gangs. The project director used to be an IT technician, but after volunteering for 20 years, he decided he wanted to do more to help children in need in San Jose. In 2008 his project was legally recognized and established as a foundation. Initially the project was very small with just 17 children in attendance, however, within three months, there were 60 children and now the center caters for more than 85!
The center provides a safe place for children to go when they are not at school, as most of their parents work long hours and they’d otherwise be at home alone. Between 9am and 12pm, the center caters for young children and teenagers who then attend school later in the day. From 3pm until 6pm, the center cares for the children and teenagers who have been at school in the morning. The kinds of tasks you can expect to get involved with include: assisting with homework, creating fun and educational activities for the children, helping during meal times, teaching English, accompanying the children to the hospital if necessary,taking the children to the park for walks and games, making special occasions, such as birthdays, a fun time for the children by organizing parties or outings,making handicrafts with the children and then selling them to raise funds for the center, providing a weekly volunteer report to the volunteer coordinator at the, academia to enable the consistency of volunteer work.
Join this project and make the difference!
There are a lot of children and teenagers at the centre, so it’s important that as a volunteer you are motivated to get actively involved and use your initiative. You need to be flexible with an excellent attitude to ensure the children are kept entertained!
The people working on this centre will assist you with all the information that you’ll need to get around and use the public transport. They will tell you what to do and what not to do in Ecuador, so that you will feel free and save to get to know the country a bit better, as well as assist you in everything you may need during your work with the children.
You’ll play an big role at the project, Help this centre suffering under hard conditions . Be part of their lifes and get involved. You’ll feel rewarded and you’ll have the time of your life at the time that you learn a lot from people that have nothing to offer but love and affection.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand self-motivated
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer *
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Raise vital funds for the project
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- Prepare educational material
- Teach the children about your culture
- Help preparing meals offered
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Giving assistance to a successful yet needy project that provides vital care and attention to children and teenagers.
- Make a real difference by providing these children with the attention and support and see them smile again.
- Create fun activities for the children.
- Teach English and improve their future possibilities.
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: