Volunteer at a health centre in Cuzco, Peru
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
The health care in Peru is one of the most under funded in South America. Lack of resources and funds, poor management of resources and little medical knowledge increase the problem. This program is working with a number of projects, which aim to provide medical care to underprivileged children and adults. These people cannot afford a private health care, and as such their medical conditions would go untreated if it weren’t for the projects.
The project works with two clinics that work in the areas of: general medicine, obstetrics, gynecology, physiotherapy, rehabilitation, psychology, ophthalmology, Andean Medicine, dentistry, X-ray, clinical Laboratory, pharmacy and kindergarten.
They also work with a home for senior citizens which was established in 1981 after a Peruvian citizen donated her house to the cause. The elderly people are no longer able to look after themselves and sadly neither are their families.
The people working on this centre will assist you with all the information that you’ll need working with this disadvantaged people and to get around the city using the public transport. They will tell you what to do and what not to do in the city, so that you will feel free and save to get to know Peru a bit better. Duties will vary depending upon your medical experience, but we welcome both medically and non-medically trained volunteers.
Join this project and make the difference!
You will observe and assist doctors and nurses in the above-mentioned medical areas getting hands of practical experience if you are qualified. You will also be able to help in the pharmacy with classifying and sorting medicines, as well as learning about and assisting with Andean medicines – all made from plants and herbs. The children in the kindergarten will also love your attention, and creativity is needed to keep them entertained in an under resourced center!
Volunteers choosing the home for senior citizens will be involved in some or all of the following: Organizing entertainment such as singing and dancing, Accompanying the elderly people on walks, Assisting the nursing staff with basic medical duties such as taking blood pressure, motivating the patients to participate in stimulating activities such as games and discussions, helping with therapy and massage, supporting the staff with the cleaning and up-keep of the center, including gardening.
Do something for the Peruvian society by taking part of this project that aims on give medical assistance to disadvantaged people in Peru. You’ll be improving their quality of life and actually changing something by giving your support and time. You can’t miss the opportunity to join this project and gain a precious and unique experience that you’ll never forget.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
On this volunteer project you'll have to work on your empathy. You need to walk on these people's shoes and try to think what would need or like if you were them. You need to listen and to spend time with them to be able to fulfill their needs. The staff is very savvy and open to help you in everything you may need. But it is important for you to be perceptive and proactive..
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Have skills to work with people with disabilities
- To be creative and have an affinitty with people
- To be motivated, patient, resourceful and willing to join in a wide range of activities
- To be a committed and responsible person willing to help
- To have skills to organize recreation events
- Enthusiastic spirit and lots of energy
- Students or health professionals are welcomed to help
- An intermediate Spanish level is recommended
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- To watch out for physical and mental health of the patients
- To assist on rehabilitation activities
- To work on maintenance activities
- To observe and assist doctors and nurses
- To spend time with patients and elderly people making them happier
- Preparation of recreational and sports activities
- Assisting the staff and other volunteers on routine duties
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Lending a hand to understaffed, under resourced medical centers and knowing you are making a real difference.
- Gaining medical experience in an environment very different to your home country.
- Getting involved in a variety of activities in the area of care.
- Make your latin american experience in the exciting country of Peru!
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: