Volunteer at a disabled young people project, Cordoba, Argentina
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
On this project you will be working with an organization that looks after people from 20 to 50 years old that have disabilities and are not capable of taking care of themselves alone. They provide the appropriate support system so that they can bear out their condition. They provide the necessary care for people with mental retardation and also assist their families that are often poor and live under vulnerable conditions.
This organization was created and it is maintained until today by the hard work of many volunteers that devote a lot of energy to keeping the center together. They work at a house that has been adapted for people with disabilities to prevent them from getting harmed. It has 2 classrooms to develop workshops, an office where they keep all the records and information, a kitchen to provide the patients with snacks and hot beverages and a big yard to play games and do activities outdoors.
The volunteers are all professionals that specialize on careers related to disability. They are college students and professors or professionals that do this apart from their private practice. You don’t need to have experience or to have studied a related career to volunteer but you do need to have tons of energy, creativity and a lot of patience. You will learn a lot from your fellow volunteers since they have been working many years on this matter.
Join this project and make the difference!
They look to achieve the patients’ maximum biological, psychological, social and spiritual wellbeing by working at a tolerant, respectful and loving environment. There are many myths and misperceptions about what is like to deal with people in this situation daily, and we can assure you that it is demanding as it is rewarding. The people that attend to the organization is young and you will easily connect with them learning that a disability doesn’t mean that they are incapable of love. They are very affectionate and they will show it to you.
Your job as volunteer will be to help in all of this center’s activities. You can help at the kitchen preparing the tasty snacks for the patients, set the tables, do the dishes and make lists of what needs to be bought. You can also assist with the festivities at the center like throwing parties when is someone’s birthday or fare well parties to those that have to leave the center. You can also prepare a magical Christmas for them; maybe include some of your home country’s traditions or to surprise them with a picnic for spring day! On top of that you can provide them workshops to develop their skills. Maybe, that way they find a way of making a living or a contribution with their own hands. Do feel up to the challenge? We think you are!
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
A Private Apartment is the best choice to enjoy your privacy and comfort of your own place.
Your role as a volunteer
On this volunteer project you'll have to work on your empathy. You need to walk on these people's shoes and try to think what would need or like if you were them. You need to listen and to spend time with them to be able to fulfill their needs. The staff is very savvy and open to help you in everything you may need. But it is important for you to be perceptive and proactive..
Usual Volunteer Tasks
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Have skills to work with people with disabilities
- To be creative and have an affinitty with disabled people
- To be motivated, patient, resourceful and willing to join in a wide range of activities
- To be a committed and responsible person willing to help
- To have skills to organize recreation events
- Enthusiastic spirit and lots of energy
- Students or health professionals are welcomed to help
- An intermediate Spanish level is recommended
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
- To watch out for physical and mental health of the disabled
- To assist on rehabilitation activities
- To work on maintenance activities
- To get involved with the disabled
- To spend time with them making them happier
- Preparation of recreational and sports activities
- Assisting the staff and other volunteers on routine duties
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Work with an experienced organization providing the necessary care for people with mental retardation and also assist their families
- Learn a lot from other volunteers that have been working for a long time and that are specialized in treating people with disabilities.
- Help the patients to achieve their maximum biological, psychological, social and spiritual wellbeing by working at a tolerant, respectful and loving environment
- Spending time with them, preparing their snacks and everything related, throwing celebrations and providing workshops are some of the activities that they need you for. Help!
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: