Volunteer at a children in need home, Cuzco, Peru
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
Sadly in Peru, many children find themselves with nowhere to live after either being abandoned by their families or running away from home. The centers in Cuzco with which we work were set up in 1997 and provide a safe haven for such children who would otherwise find themselves risking the dangers of life on the streets. The homes aim to provide education and vocational training to the children, as well as a stable environment in which to live. Each centre is home to up to 65 children, whose ages range from 6 to 20 years old and the age group you will be working with depends on the centre into which you are placed. Please let us know at the time of booking if you have a preference and wherever possible we will place you with your requested age group.
The people working on this centre will assist you with all the information that you’ll need to get around and use the public transport. They will tell you what to do and what not to do in the city, so that you will free and save to get to know Peru a bit better.
Join this project and make the difference!
You’ll play an important role at the project. You can choose to work mornings or afternoons, however, since the children live full time at the homes, there is always plenty to do, so any additional time you can dedicate will be appreciated. You days will be busy and varied and volunteer work may include some or all of the following: Singing, playing games, organizing creative activities such as arts and crafts, assisting teachers with educational lessons in maths and languages, helping with vocational workshops such as sewing, knitting and ceramics, organizing and teaching sports, teaching basic reading and writing, cooking and tidying up.
In this project you’ll feel how rewarding it is to give your love to children. The most just need a bit of patience and comprehension, someone that spends time with them. This children suffered under lack of attention and affection, being separated from their parents because hard reasons, leaving them alone in a big world that often forgets about them. Bring colour into their lives, make them smile again and get rewarded with a fulfilling experience that will remain in your memory forever.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand self-motivated
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer *
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Raise vital funds for the project
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- Prepare educational material
- Teach the children about your culture
- Help preparing meals offered
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Bringing happiness and fun to the homes of children who have all ready been through a lot in life despite their tender years.
- Coming up with new activities for the children and youths and watching as their self-confidence grows
- Organize creative activities such as arts and crafts.
- Experiment how rewarding it is to work with children.
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: