Volunteer at a Centre for street children and teenagers, Quito, Ecuador
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
This project works with some kindergartens in and around Cuzco that provide care to children from disadvantaged and underprivileged families. In each centre there are around 35 children, between 3 and 5 years old. The centers provide a safe place for the children to learn and spend day, as their parents are usually working hard everyday. This is a wonderful opportunity to give something back to the society during your visit and to get off the tourist trail and come into contact with local people. Get to know the Peruvian society from very close and deal with children with difficult backgrounds. The center has been set up to provide a safe place for children and teenagers living on the streets of Quito. Some of the children run away from home, others have been abandoned whatever the case, they are living in the constant danger of drug addiction, alcoholism, sexual abuse and child prostitution between others. The center provides these young people with two meals per day, a place to sleep, psychological help, assistance to finding schools and jobs, educational assistance and help so they obtain identification documents. The project aims to promote a sense of identity and self-respect in the children and teenagers. As a volunteer, your role is to be on hand to support the teenagers and children. Many of them have had very difficult backgrounds so it is important that you set a good example and act as a responsible role model.
Most of the children have been suffered under lack of affection, so part of your job is to provide the children and teenagers with some attention, support and love.
Join this project and make the difference!
By simply dedicating your time and sharing it with them will show them that in fact people who care about them.
The kinds of tasks you can expect to get involved with include: Assisting during meal times, organizing the necessary paperwork to help the young people to obtain identification documents, accompanying the children to school and acting as their responsible guardian to monitor their progress, helping with homework, preparing study materials, organizing trips for the children and teenagers and providing psychological assistance if qualified and experienced.
The people working on this centre will assist you with all the information that you’ll need to get around and use the public transport. They will tell you what to do and what not to do in Ecuador, so that you will feel free and save to get to know the country a bit better, as well as assist you in everything you may need during your work with the children.
You’ll play an big role at the project, Help this local community this children to gain self-esteem and a hope for their future lives, get the smile back to their faces, provide love and support to those kids that are passing through a rough time and need support and empathy. Make a real difference to children living on the streets and profit from the incredible experience you’ll take home. Join this project in Ecuador now and do never forget it.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand, self-motivated and didactic
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Assisting during meal times
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- organizing the necessary paperwork to help the young people to obtain identification document
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Create a bond with children and see them smile again.
- Make a real difference by providing these children and teenagers with the attention and support they have thus far lacked in life.
- Organize trips for the children and teenagers
- Give them the psychological help they need.
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: