Equine therapy volunteer, Cordoba, Argentina
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
On this project you’ll be working with an non-profit organization that works individually with children from 1 year old, teenagers, young adults and adults that suffer from different pathologies once a week for eleven months every year.
This activity is carried out by professionals that dedicate their time and energy to the practice and education of equine-assisted therapy in its 3 modalities: hippotherapy, therapeutic horseback riding and adapted horse riding for people that have affections such as autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, or some other sensory impairment. The main goal for this organization is to build a recreational space that allows integration and social interaction for people that have organic difficulties that affect their proper development.
This kind of therapy works well with people with motor disabilities because the horse’s pelvis moves like the human hip and requires balance, coordination, and muscle strength so people exercise. It also works with people with mental disabilities because the relationship with the horse works as a mean to learn and grow emotionally.
They also provide workshops like art, cooking, computer science and social events like parties, asados (the typical Argentinean meat feast), board games and gatherings to play guitar and sing songs. They also work on to promote job placements and micro-enterprises.
Join this project and make the difference!
As a volunteer you’ll need to collaborate with the development of the activities undertaken by the organization. Your help is needed in every area! At the workshops you’ll have to accompany and support learners, together with teachers; at the psychomotor and pedagogical cabinets you’ll support the professionals in the implementation of recreational and therapeutic activities; at equine therapy you’ll support both the instructor and the student.
You can also participate in creating events to spread the word and educate society in general about this therapy. You’ll have to assist on the preparation and implementation and broadcasting of the event afterwards. You can also help at the administrative area by documenting files, identifying and taking references and receiving parents and students. If you enjoy the close contact with nature you can help on animal care and gardening cooperating with the maintenance of the place. Keeping the horses and their boxes clean will be among your tasks.
If you enjoy nature, love horses and have a weakness for helping people with disabilities this is a great project to get involved with. You will learn a lot and have a very enlightening volunteer experience.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
A Private Apartment is the best choice to enjoy your privacy and comfort of your own place.
Your role as a volunteer
On this volunteer project you'll have to work on your empathy. You need to walk on these people's shoes and try to think what would need or like if you were them. You need to listen and to spend time with them to be able to fulfill their needs. The staff is very savvy and open to help you in everything you may need. But it is important for you to be perceptive and proactive.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Have skills to work with people with disabilities
- To be creative and have an affinitty with disabled people
- To be motivated, patient, resourceful and willing to join in a wide range of activities
- To be a committed and responsible person willing to help
- To have skills to organize recreation events
- Enthusiastic spirit and lots of energy
- Students or health professionals are welcomed to help
- An intermediate Spanish level is recommended
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- To watch out for physical and mental health of the disabled
- To assist on rehabilitation activities
- To work on maintenance activities
- To get involved with the disabled
- To spend time with them making them happier
- Preparation of recreational and sports activities
- Assisting the staff and other volunteers on routine duties
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Learn about equine-assisted therapy in its 3 modalities: hippotherapy, therapeutic horseback riding and adapted horse riding for people that have different kind of disabilities
- Get surprised watching the special relationship between horse and man and the positive effects that this therapy has on people
- Assist on many different areas such as workshops, therapy itself, the psychomotor and pedagogical cabinets, creating events, performing administrative duties and taking care of the animals and the space.
- Keep in touch with nature while helping people with special needs
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: