Educational volunteer opportunity with people with autism, Chile, Santiago, Chile
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
Autism is a very complex condition that presents itself with any combination of behavioral characteristics in any degree of severity. It usually appears in the first years of life. It is hard for the patients as well as for their families to face the situation and to find a way to cope with it. This nonprofit organization has been working since 1989 with people with autism and their families to improve their quality of life and to help them to understand and enjoy each other even with their condition.
They work in two ways: they provide activities, lessons, workshops and physical education at the organization, but they also support programs for integration in regular educational institutions.
The goal of their activity is to rehabilitate children on an emotional, social, cognitive, functional, psychomotor, artistic and vocational level. They do this by promoting recreational activities and all kinds of sporting games and courses. Among the services that this organization provides are: educational and therapeutic workshops, family support and orientation, promotion and sensitivization of the society about autism and evaluation and diagnosis supporting other professionals.
You’ll be working with a multidisciplinary team among which you can find speech therapists, psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, social workers, physical education teachers and music therapists.
Join this project and make the difference!
The most important thing for them is that you have a spirit of service, respect for the autistic child and love and care to treat children.
The main way in which volunteers like you can assist these children is through providing creative and educational activities that will help improve their everyday lives. However there is a wide range of activities that could use your help, so you’ll be able to choose the ones in which you feel more comfortable. You can assist with teaching duties to help develop themselves socially and emotionally as well as stimulating their cognitive, functional, artistic and motor skills.
If you have studied physical education you’ll be able to put your knowledge into action creating recreational activities and games to improve their aerobic capabilities with routines adapted to each of their bodies’ needs. You can also assist physiologists and learn a lot from them when helping the children or providing support to the families. You can also take part in the activities carried out by the different kinds of therapists that work here. You can also share your home country’s culinary delights at the functional cooking workshops.
They need you to help these people with this hard condition, not only for but for their relatives as well. Gather energy and sign up!
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
A Private Apartment is the best choice to enjoy your privacy and comfort of your own place.
Your role as a volunteer
On this volunteer project you'll have to work on your empathy. You need to walk in these people's shoes and try to think what they would need or like if you were them. You need to listen and to spend time with them to be able to fulfill their needs. The staff is very savy and open to help you in anything you may need. But it is important for you to be perceptive and proactive.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Have skills to work with people with disabilities
- Be creative and have an affinitty with disabled people
- Be motivated, patient, resourceful and willing to join in a wide range of activities
- Be a committed and responsible person willing to help
- Have skills to organize recreation events
- Enthusiastic spirit and lots of energy
- Students or health professionals are welcomed to help
- An intermediate Spanish level is recommended
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
*Latin American students applying for Volunteers in Spain must have a valid EU passport.
- Watch out for physical and mental health of the disabled
- Asist on rehabilitation activities
- Work on maintenance activities
- Be involved with the disabled
- Spend time with them making them happier
- Preparation of recreational and sports activities
- Assisting the staff and other volunteers on routine duties
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Help people with autism to reach their full potential and their families to understand and cope with their situation
- Be part of a very prestigious organization known for their worthy and professional labor
- Learn from the most qualified professionals and get to know a bit more about autism
- Assist with a wide range of activities between you’ll be able to choose
- Discover yourself in an uknown environment and take advatage of all that you’ will be learning and all the affection you’ll receive!
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: