Children's Day Care Volunteer, Antigua, Guatemala
You are the one who can assure these children to have the chance to grow up safe and healthy.
Poverty in Guatemala, like in other South American countries is a serious issue. The organization behind this project believes that education is the best way to break the chain of poverty. They believe that providing kids with a safe environment to develop their skills is the best way of creating capable, self sufficient and creative individuals. The attention paid at these children at such a young age, certainly pays off with credit later when you find a better educated society.
This day care center provides this space for the children that need this education but their parents can’t afford it. By taking their children to the center they know their kids are getting the best care possible and all the necessary skill development before entering the formal education system. The center has over 10 years of experience in taking care of children and working on early skills development. That experience has allowed them to run a very organized day care. The group of teachers is supported by a psychologist and a doctor on site. You’ll feel guided and supported as well. A typical day here starts early when the children arrive. They take baths and have breakfast. You’ll be able to help at these duties by preparing breakfast or helping to bathe the younger children. Afterwards all the children brush their teeth and learn about the importance of personal hygiene.
The time after that is filled with games, story reading, workshops, painting, singing and everything you know children love to do. The younger babies are helped on walking, potty training, dressing and eating by themselves. The goal is to develop their mental and motor skills in a fun environment where they feel loved.
Join this project and make the difference!
If you’re resourceful, creative, responsible and love children this is a great project to get involved with. You’ll be able to come up with recreational and educational activities for the children. You’ll need to be available to help the professionals there that are open to hear suggestions and ready to pass on to you everything they know. They like having volunteers around because volunteers, teachers and the children benefit from it. Though this project is well resourced and has all the necessary equipment supplied and in good condition, anything you can chip in with will be highly appreciated. Things like schools supplies, clothes, shoes and food are always needed.
The international perspective always makes a positive impact on the children. You can teach them songs in your language or basic words. They’ll enjoy getting to know you just as much as you’ll love being able to become a part of their lives.
On this project you’ll be able to share all that love and affection you have for children and you’ll learn a lot about how to develop the kids capabilities. You’ll get immersed in Guatemalan culture as you spend time with them, the teachers and their parents that are usually very curious about the volunteers that help their kids. What are you waiting for to sign up? Your help is needed!
This volunteer project is not available from November to January.
Families & Homestays
Our families know, due to their experience, what it means to be a real host. They have received many students from different nationalities, occupations and ages. We will take into consideration your likes and preferences. Living with a local family is the best way to learn their customs, likes, and style while you learn a new language.
Residences & Hostels
If you want to live with several local and foreign students, you can choose to stay in a private or shared room in any of the students' residencies we offer you. Sharing a place with young people from all over the world is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and make new friends as well as learning about the place in which you are studying.
Your role as a volunteer
As a volunteer you'll be expected to have a predisposition to work in teams with the regular staff and other local and international volunteers. The key to really seize the experience is to be open and to be proactive. Those qualities will be highly valued. Kids will want to know everything about you so you'll be able to share your background with them and vice versa. On this project you'll have to show all that love you have for children.
Usual Volunteer Tasks
- Over 18 years old
- High school degree
- Health insurance, accident and liability
- Commitment to the Host Organization,its rules and tasks
- Good predisposition to work with children
- Ability to adapt to different circumstances and flexibility
- Good spirit and lots of energy
- Pro-activeand self-motivated
- Basic level of Spanish. Keep in mind that tasks will be assigned according to your level of Spanish
- Previous experience in social or educational work though not mandatory, will be valued
- Fulfill with all legal and formal requirements for your Volunteer*
- Watch the children during working hours
- Help children with their homework and reading
- Assist with the set up and clean up of projects and snack time
- Raise vital funds for the project
- Prepare recreational activities
- Put together presentations and educational games
- Spend free time chatting and playing with the children
- Assist the teachers and other volunteers on routine tasks
- Propose new ideas to improve the day to day work at the organization
- Make friendship with the kids
- Prepare educational material
- Teach the children about your culture
- Help preparing meals offered
The tasks named above will be arranged with every volunteer according to each one’s skills and special abilities.
- Prepare workshops and educational activities and share your culture as you get immersed in Guatemalan society
- Provide support to poor mothers and fathers who work to give their children the least
- Provide a safe environment for the kids to grow
- Help teachers to develop the mental and motor skills of these kids
- Engage in making sure that these children have all the necessary tools to enter the formal education system
Contact us NOW!
Our Team is ready to help you: